(Federal Financial Aid Approved)
61 Credit Hours
Nutrition is a fascinating and dynamic science with a powerful role to play in promoting health and wellness. If your career and personal goals are leading you toward pursuing an undergraduate degree in nutrition, the A.S. in Applied Nutrition from Huntington University of Health Sciences (HUHS) may be applicable.
The A.S. degree incorporates all of the courses from the Diploma in Comprehensive Nutrition program, and the Diploma in Women’s Nutrition program, as well as other selected courses. Upon completion of the A.S. degree, you will have truly achieved an extensive and thorough education in the science of nutrition; including scientifically sound alternate practices in nutrition.
Students may transfer only credits earned through other colleges or universities accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA); or international equivalent; subject to administrative approval. Forty-five credits may be transferred into the Associate of Science degree program. Of those 45 credits, no more than 15 credits will be awarded for prior learning experience and/or credit by examination.
Upon completion of the Associate of Science in Applied Nutrition degree program, the graduate will be able to:
- Demonstrate problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills to course work in applied nutrition.
- Apply principles and concepts from the biological, behavioral, and social sciences into decision making in food and nutrition.
- Apply mathematical formulas to the calculation of nutritional components.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of general and clinical nutrition to health and disease.
- Promote healthy nutrition practices for clients through nutrition education.
The Associate of Science Degree in Applied Nutrition program consists of the following 20 courses:
General Education Courses
Oral & Written Communications –6 credits
- ENG101 English Composition 1 (3)
- ENG102 English Composition 2 (3)
Mathematics –3 credits
- MAT210 College Algebra I (3)
Behavioral Sciences –3 credits
- PSY101 Psychology (3)
Other Required Courses
Natural Sciences –16 credits
- BIO230 Anatomy and Physiology I (3)
- BIO231 Anatomy and Physiology II (3)
- BIO210 Human Biology (3)
- CHE101 General Chemistry (3)
- CHE201 Organic and Biochemistry (4)
Other General Education
Elective Courses –6 credits
- BUS140 Contemporary Marketing (3)
- BUS142 Managing a Small Business (3)
- CDV101 Child Development (3)
- MAT101 Business Mathematics (3)
Major Courses –21 credits
- NUT101 Understanding Nutrition I (3)
- NUT102 Vegetarian Nutrition (3)
- NUT201 Understanding Nutrition II (3)
- HEA201 Environmental Challenges & Solutions (3)
- NUT301 Vitamins and Minerals (3)
- NUT401 Nutritional Counseling Skills (3)
- NUT224 Eating Disorders & Weight Management (3)
Nutrition Electives –6 credits
- EXE320 Exercise Physiology (3)
- NUT220 Sports Nutrition (3)
- NUT221 Pregnancy, Pediatric & Adolescent Nutrition (3)
- NUT222 Community Nutrition (3)
- NUT223 Women’s Special Health Concerns (3)
- HER101 Introduction to Herbal Sciences (3)
- HER102 Herbs & Body Systems (3)
- NUT225 Current Weight Management Theory & Application (3)
Total Credits: 61
Total Tuition – $16,165*
Academic prerequisites: High School diploma or equivalent, High School Algebra (for College Algebra I course)
* Tuition does not include costs of books and materials which are purchased separately. Note that tuition and fees are subject to change. Students will be notified prior to any tuition changes.
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition
Graduates of the A.S. program will be eligible to apply to sit for the Holistic Nutrition Credentialing Board’s (HNCB) Board Examination. The HNCB is a division of the National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP). NANP Professional Members who meet the board examination qualification criteria and successfully pass the Board Exam will earn the designation, “Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition.” For more information, including a list of Board Exam eligibility criteria please visit https://nanp.memberclicks.net/board-exam or contact the HNCB at 800-342-8037 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org