FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children’s education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are “eligible students.”

1.  Parents or eligible students have the right to inspect and review the student’s education records maintained by the school. Schools are not required to provide copies of records unless, however, due to HUHS being a Distance Learning institution, the following procedures will apply:

a.  To inspect and review the education records, a parent or student must submit a written request to HUHS which clearly identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect.  This form can be found on the website at www.hchs.edu/ferpa-student-rights.

b.  HUHS will charge a nominal fee which covers for the copies (based on size of record) and shipping/handling.  Notification will be provided to the requester of costs and once the fees have been received the record will be provided within 10 business day.

2.  Parents or eligible students have the right to request that a school correct records which they believe to be inaccurate or misleading.

NOTE:  This process cannot be used to challenge a grade.

a.  A student who wishes to request HUHS to amend a record must submit a request to amend an education record to the Senior Vice President Administration and Academic Affairs; clearly identify the portion of the record the student wants changed; and, specify why it should be changed and can be found on the website at www.hchs.edu/ferpa-student-rights.

b.  If HUHS elects not to amend the record, HUHS will notify the parent or eligible student, in writing, of the decision; advises of the student’s right to appeal; and, the procedures for appealing.  After the appeal, if the institution still decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student then has the right to a formal hearing. After the hearing, if the school still decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student has the right to place a statement with the record setting forth his or her view about the contested information.

3.  Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student’s education record. When a parent or student needs financial records disclosed, complete an Authorization to Release Financial Records  or on the website at www.hchs.edu/ferpa-student-rights.  Likewise, when a student or parent is consenting to release of records containing personally identifiable information (PII) a form must be completed or can be located on the website at www.chs.edu/ferpa-student-rights.

However, under FERPA guidelines, HUHS may disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR 99.31):

a.  School officials with legitimate educational interest;

HUHS defines a school official as a person employed by the school in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position; a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee.  A school official may also include a volunteer or contractor outside of the institution ho perform an institutional service or function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of Personal Identifiable Information (PII) from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks.

A school official typically has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the institution.

b.  Other schools to which a student is transferring;

c.  Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;

d.  Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student

e.  Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;

f.  Accrediting organizations;

g.  To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;

h.  Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and,

i.  State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.

Schools may disclose, without consent, “directory” information such as a student’s name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, honors and awards, and dates of attendance. However, schools must tell parents and eligible students about directory information and allow parents and eligible students a reasonable amount of time to request that the school not disclose directory information about them.

Schools must notify parents and eligible students annually of their rights under FERPA. Theactual means of notification (special letter, inclusion in a PTA bulletin, student handbook, or newspaper article) is left to the discretion of each school.  HUHS will provide such notification during first week of August prior to beginning of the fall school term.  This notification will be through Constant Contact, a service used to reach all students.

For additional information, you may call 1-800-USA-LEARN (1-800-872-5327) (voice). Individuals who use TDD may use the Federal Relay Service.

Or you may contact us at the following address:

Family Policy Compliance Office

U.S. Department of Education

400 Maryland Avenue, SW

Washington, DC 20202-5901

Additional Resources – For more information on FERPA, please see the following links:

  1. FPCO – http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html”
  2. FERPA 20 USC 1232(g) – http//frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi


  1. 34 CFR Part 99 – http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_07/34cfr99_07.html

4.    Chapter 478-140 WAC – http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=478-140